Pages

December 2, 2009

Major Lazer - Guns Don't Kill People...Lazers Do


Alright, let me just start this off by saying that this is probably the most awesome album art I've ever posted on this blog. I mean just look at those two rudeboys dancing in the background, the mummy, the bikini babe and of course Major Lazer himself with his badass shades and microphone ammo-belt.
Now to the music. This is quite unusual from what i normally post, but I recently found this awesome album and thought the blog could some more variety. This is, at its foundation, a dancehall album. But it takes inspiration from so many other genres, such as reggae, dub, electro and house. Major Lazer consist of the two producers Diplo and Switch, the dudes who produced M.I.A's "Paper Planes".
Basically all of the tracks make use of brilliant sampling and they've all got a bass-heavy beat. There is also at least one collaborator on each track, mostly various less known reggae, dub and dancehall artists (most notable in my opinion would be Santigold and Turbulence though).
Obviously this album was made to be played in clubs, but that doesn't change the fact that it's enjoyable to listen to at home as well.
Now, I'm not really a big fan of dancehall, but I find this album to be really great (except the 10th track which features horrible autotune with Nina Sky. Eww). If you don't believe me just check Pitchfork's review (not that they are respectable or even good critics, but still).
So if you like dancehall or other "dance-music" like house, techno or trance (or reggae/dub), then be sure to check this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails