Pages

December 10, 2009

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Moanin'


Okay, time for something a bit different. This is the oldest album I've posted so far (from 1958) and it is an awesome jazz album. I'm not much of a jazz guy myself, but every once in a while I feel in the mood for some sweet saxophone/trumpet/bass/guitar/whatver-wankery. To be fair, this is not a wanky album, it's just really good bebop/hard bop. For those of you who don't what that is, it's basically jazz that you can dance to (kinda like swing), with fast and upbeat, but still rather simple rhythms, focusing more on the tonal instrumentation (sax, trumpet, bass and whatnot).
Even if you're not very interested in jazz, I think you should listen to this. Jazz is hard to get into, but is really great once you do. This might not be your particular favorite of the countless jazz sub-genres but I guess it's still a fairly good starting point. If you're a prog rock/metal fan, you'll probably enjoy jazz (especially for its incredible technicality). Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails